Make all your gifts look unique and pretty with this easy scrapbook paper gift bag tutorial!
I am a fan of gift bags. (Is that a weird thing to say?) I just love how easy it is to make a gift look presentable, just by placing it inside a bag and throwing some tissue paper in it. Wrapping presents is just not for me!
Also, I love to make everything myself. Of course, you can buy some beautiful gift bags in any store, but I like to believe that if I make it, then the gift will be even more special. And since I always have some scrapbook paper lying around, I decided to make a gift bag tutorial with scrapbook paper.
It’s easy, it doesn’t take a long time to make, and the results are so cute!
Gift Bag Tutorial
What you need:
- 1 Sheet – 12×12 Scrapbook Paper
- Tape / Glue
- Punch-hole (optional)
- Ribbon / Jute cord
Step by Step
[Before we start, remember to take into consideration how big and how heavy you gift will be. If you need a bigger and stronger bag, you could use wrapping paper with this same technique.]
1. Place your scrapbook paper with the side you want on the outside of the bag facing down.
2. Fold one side of the paper to the center, and then fold the opposite side of the paper overlapping the first fold. Tape or glue them together. If you choose glue, wait until it dries to continue. This will be the back of the bag.
3. To make the bottom of the bag, fold the bottom upwards to about 1/4 of the size of the paper.
4. Unfold, open up the fold, and flatten it so that it forms a triangle on both sides.
5. Fold the bottom flap upwards right to the line, and the top flap downwards, overlapping the bottom flap. Tape or glue the flaps in place. You might have to add tape or glue from the inside to secure it once you open the bag.
6. Now that the bottom of the bag is done, fold both sides of the bag to create a crease, lining them with the bottom corners.
7. Carefully, open up the bag and reverse the creases on the sides so that they fold inwards.
8. *Optional* If the bag looks too tall for your gift, you can cut the top down to the height you prefer. Mine looked tall and funny, so I decided to cut it.
9. For the handles, measure your ribbon or jute cord to the length you prefer, and cut two pieces of that same length. (Leave about half an inch more on each end if you will be using the first method to attach the handles.)
10. Punch two holes on each side of the bag and pull your ribbon or jute cord through it and make a knot on both sides. Cut any excess. The second method to attach the handles is to just glue or tape the ribbon or cord to the inside of the bag.
That’s it for the gift bag tutorial! Now it’s all about adding details. Place some cute tissue paper on the inside, and maybe add a gift tag too, like these free printable gift tags!
Look how pretty it looks!
Here’s one of our free printable gift tags! ♥
I decided to make a second bag with what I cut from the top of the first bag. This one ended up being a little too thin, but with the right size gift it would still work. Also, I made the handles for this bag with the second option, which was to tape or glue the cord from the inside. I like how this second method makes the handles stay up!
Here are some other gift making ideas you might like.
Did you like this tutorial? Pin this picture to share it with others!